In the world of wishes, anything can come true. But the world has rules of
own and doesn't care that a certain Doctor Know-All and his friends don't
Fitz and Anji.
Pg 11 On a hill on the planet Albert (aka The World of Wishes).
Pg 8 "No strange matter" Time and the Rani.
Pg 71 "I know a bank where the wild thyme grows" Probably not an Iris
Pg 86 "I remember [...]white shapes in an orange-yellow sky" The Doctor
remembers seeing a meteor shower with his father in the Telemovie.
Pg 92 "He'd taken a life-saving course during his years as a corporate
troubleshooter in the mid-eighties" Father Time.
Pg 97 "Occasionally in the last hundred years or so, I've been taken
The Doctor's illness foreshadows The Adventuress of Henrietta Street.
"He might be one of those creepy psycho-strategists" We met one in Corpse Marker.
Pg 108 "We are not going to wake the crukking giant." The swearword "cruk" appeared a lot in the New Adventures. Hey, it was the nineties, we were into that sort of thing.
Pg 112 "'Do you know "Colonel Bogey"?' And before Alex could stop him, he began to whistle." The fourth Doctor also whistles "Colonel Bogey" in The Talons of Weng-Chiang.
"There's a song about one in a windmill that Miranda
liked." Father Time.
Pg 134 "I think I threatened a man with his pet rat once." This might
reference to The Visitation.
Pg 135 "Creepy things silverfish. I once had a phobia about them, but
wouldn't tell me what I'd said under hypnosis." Silverfish are almost
the Cybermats. The Doctor meets Freud in a story in Missing Pieces.
"We charted it as WHO one" Just like Bessie's numberplate during the third Doctor's era.
Pg 139 The Doctor uses Venusian Aikido, as the third Doctor did quite a bit.
Pg 146 "On my father's side I am immortal, barring accidents" The
Telemovie and The War Games.
"This was certainly less stressful than the dentistry he'd been forced to do last night" We'll be charitable and assume that he's learned since claiming he didn't know any in Return of the Living Dad.
Pg 190 "A crowd of people in what looked like Renaissance clothing. In this world's clothing. A memory he'd had before." In the flashforward in Father Time.
Pg 192 "The planet's called Albert?" The Doctor also had a foreshadowing of this line in Father Time.
Pg 196 "She'd seen him ride on Hitchemus." The
of Intelligent Tigers.
Pgs 213-214 "Should I have let the Kulan conquer Earth?" Escape
Pg 227 "Half the worlds in the Kursaal system." Kursaal. But see Continuity Cock-Ups
Pg 229 "Anji just knew he was the sort who'd give a car a pet
name. Probably a
girl's." The Doctor does indeed call his car Bessie.
Pg 247 "So you wouldn't want your memories, then, Doctor?" All sorts of
arc stuff on this page.
"You won't catch me with that old temptation." The City of the Dead.
OLD FRIENDS AND OLD ENEMIES
NEW FRIENDS AND NEW ENEMIES
Christina Morgenstern, although she's a cat by the story's end.
Alex Volpe, although he's a fox by the story's end.
- Pg 107 "Don't be such goose." Huh?
- Pg 108 "Besides, its uncalled for" You'd think the Doctor, of all people, would know the difference between its and it's.
- Pg 113 "It's the babblings of a clockwork-figurine maker whose been sniffing too much mercury." Clearly the residents of the planet Albert don't know the difference between whose and who's.
- Pg 191 "The hairy thing took the key and pushed it between Alex's lips, suddenly and without ceremony. It tasted of grit and, for a second, a quick-setting modelling material Alec had used as a child." Why does Alex suddenly become Alec in his own internal thoughts?
- Pg 227 "Half the worlds in the Kursaal system." Except that Kursaal was the name of the theme park; the planet it was set on was Saturnia Regna.
PLUGGING THE HOLES [Fan-wank theorizing of how to fix continuity cock-ups]
- Jacqueletta is so annoyed she's tripping over her words.
- The Doctor has attempted to say two things at once and tripped over his words.
- Inex has also attempted to say two things at once and tripped over his words. This seems to happen a lot on this planet.
- Perhaps his mother used to call him "Alec" so when thinking of himself as a child he goes back to that.
- The Kursaal theme park proved so popular that several planets in the general area became known as being part of the Kursaal system.
FEATURED ALIEN RACES
Pg 19 The Vuim, insect-like aliens.
Pg 19 The Abanak, hippopotomus-like aliens.
All manner of fairytale dwarves, goblins, giants etc.
The planet Albert.
The planet Albert, aka the World of Wishes, aka WHO one, c 2860.
Pg 8 Esmerelda's Dream.
Pg 9 The Bonaventure.
IN SUMMARY - Robert Smith?
It's rare to see such a sublime idea so ruined by lacklustre execution,
Grimm Reality takes a stunning central premise and commits the
crime of making it dull. A story about fairy tales, with the TARDIS crew
the narrative should have been fantastic, but it's sunk by too much
trying to explain everything scientifically and being too afraid to
own potential. A real shame.