University of Ottawa
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Email: p"last name" (at) uottawa.ca
I am currently a postdoctoral researcher and a part-time professor at the University of Ottawa, working with Richard Blute,
Thierry Giordano, Pieter Hofstra, Paul-Eugène Parent,
Alistair Savage and Philip Scott. I obtained my Ph.D. in 2016 at the Université catholique de Louvain
under the supervision of Enrico Vitale and Zurab Janelidze.
For more details, you can see my CV.
My main research interests lie in category theory, and more specifically in categorical algebra and universal algebra.
My aim is to deeper understand algebraic categorical properties such as the Mal'tsev, unital or semi-abelian property; in particular via some embedding theorems or preservation under the cofiltered limit completion.
I am also interested in internal groupoids, weak equivalences and their bicategory of fractions. I recently got focussed on categorical logic in Ottawa.
I recently co-organized a summer school and a workshop in Ottawa (July 29 - August 2) about operads and higher structures in Algebraic Topology and Category Theory. You can find more information here.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Embedding theorems for Janelidze's matrix conditions, Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra, 224 (2) (2020), 469-506.
- Partial algebras and embedding theorems for (weakly) Mal'tsev categories and matrix conditions, to appear in Cahiers de Topologie et Géométrie Différentielle Catégoriques.
- [with S. Mantovani, G. Metere and E.M. Vitale]: Bipullbacks of fractions and the snail lemma, Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra, 223 (12) (2019), 5147-5162.
- [with R.F. Blute, J.R.B. Cockett and P.J. Scott]: Finiteness spaces and generalized power series, Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science, 341 (2018), 5-22.
- [with S. Mantovani, G. Metere and E.M. Vitale]: On fibrations between internal groupoids and their normalizations, Applied Categorical Structures, 26 (5) (2018), 1015-1039.
- An embedding theorem for regular Mal'tsev categories, Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra, 222 (5) (2018), 1049-1068.
- [with D. Rodelo]: Stability properties characterising n-permutable categories, Theory and Applications of Categories, 32 (45) (2017), 1563-1587.
- [with E.M. Vitale]: Bicategories of fractions for groupoids in monadic categories, Tbilisi Mathematical Journal, 8 (2) (2015), 85-105.
Submitted for publication
- [with D. Bourn and M. Gran]: On the naturalness of Mal'tsev categories, submitted to Springer for a volume in honour of J. Lambek.
- [with J. Beauvais-Feisthauer, R. Blute, I. Dewan, B. Drummond]: Finiteness spaces, étale groupoids and their convolution algebras.
- [with Z. Janelidze]: Unconditional exactness properties.
Other scientific publications
- [with M. Sebille]: EGMO 2017 à Zürich, Losanges, 39 (2017), 54-59.
- [with M. Sebille]: European Girl’s Mathematical Olympiad 2014 ou l’art de méjuger un questionnaire, Losanges, 27 (2014), 60-64.
- [with M. Sebille]: European Girl’s Mathematical Olympiad 2013, Losanges, 21 (2013), 47-52.
- [with M. Sebille]: European Girl’s Mathematical Olympiad 2012, Losanges, 17 (2012), 50-55.
Teaching in uOttawa
- Fall 2018: Instructor for Méthodes Mathématiques II (MAT 1702 C).
- Winter 2018: Instructor for Mathematical Methods II (MAT 1302 B).
- Fall 2017: Instructor for Mathematical Methods I (MAT 1300 D).
Teaching in UCL
- Spring 2017: Teaching Assistant for Mathématiques Générales 1 (LMAT 1111 G).
- Spring 2015: Teaching Assistant for Mathématiques : algèbre et calcul matriciel (LINGE 1121).
- Autumn 2013: Teaching Assistant for Mathématiques Générales 1 (LMAT 1111 D).
From 2013, I am involved in the preparation of Belgian high school students for the Internal Mathematical Olympiad.
I mostly teach general algebra and functional equations. I have been Deputy Leader of the Belgian team at the European Girl Mathematical Olympiad from 2012 to 2017
as well as Deputy Leader of the Belgian team at the Benelux Mathematical Olympiad from 2014 to 2016.
- June 2019, Ottawa-Carleton Logic Seminar, Ottawa, Canada, Weak reflections, polyfunctors and the small object argument.
- October 2018, Ottawa-Carleton Logic Seminar, Ottawa, Canada, Embedding theorem for (weakly) Mal'tsev categories.
- June 2018, 34th Conference on the Mathematical Foundations of Programming Semantics, Halifax, Canada, Finiteness spaces and generalized power series.
- May 2018, 4th Workshop on Categorical Algebra: Recent developments and future perspectives, Gargnano, Italy, Internal fibrations and their normalizations.
- May 2018, UCL-ULB-VUB Category Theory Seminar, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, Finiteness spaces and generalized power series.
- February 2018, Ottawa-Carleton Logic Seminar, Ottawa, Canada, Stability properties characterising n-permutable categories.
- February 2018, Ottawa-Carleton Logic Seminar, Ottawa, Canada, Functorial exactness properties.
- September 2017, Ottawa-Carleton Joint Algebra Seminar, Ottawa, Canada, Where the snake is just a snail.
- July 2017, International Conference on Category Theory and its Applications, Vancouver, Canada, An embedding theorem for regular Mal'tsev categories.
- May 2017, Category Theory Seminar, Cambridge, United Kingdom, Embedding theorems for (regular) Mal'tsev categories.
- May 2016, 4th Workshop on Categorical Methods in Non-Abelian Algebra, Coimbra, Portugal, An embedding theorem for regular Mal'tsev categories.
- March 2016, UCL-ULB-VUB Category Theory Seminar, Brussels, Belgium, An embedding theorem for regular Mal'tsev categories.
- September 2015, Workshop in Category Theory and Algebraic Topology, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, Bicategories of fractions for groupoids in monadic categories.
- January 2015, 97th Peripatetic Seminar on Sheaves and Logic, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, Exactness properties and cofiltered limit completion.
- November 2014, Brümmer 80 Seminar, Cape Town, South Africa, Embedding theorem for regular subtractive categories.
- October 2014, 57th South African Mathematical Society annual congress, Johannesburg, South Africa, Bicategories of fractions for groupoids in monadic categories.
- October 2014, Seminar of the Centre for Mathematical Structure, Stellenbosch, South Africa, An introduction to bicategories.
Last update: 3 August 2019