University of Ottawa
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
585 King Edward
Email: p"last name" (at) uottawa.ca
I am currently a postdoctoral researcher and a part-time professor at the University of Ottawa, working with Richard Blute,
Thierry Giordano, Pieter Hofstra, Paul-Eugène Parent,
Alistair Savage and Philip Scott. I obtained my Ph.D. in 2016 at the Université catholique de Louvain
under the supervision of Enrico Vitale and Zurab Janelidze.
For more details, you can see my CV.
My main research interests lie in category theory, and more specifically in categorical algebra and universal algebra.
My aim is to deeper understand algebraic categorical properties such as the Mal'tsev, unital or semi-abelian property; in particular via some embedding theorems or preservation under the cofiltered limit completion.
I am also interested in internal groupoids, weak equivalences and their bicategory of fractions. I recently got focussed on categorical logic in Ottawa.
Submitted for publications
- Partial Mal'tsev algebras and an embedding theorem for (weakly) Mal'tsev categories, submitted to Cah. Topol. Géom. Différ. Catég.
- [with D. Rodelo]: Stability properties characterising n-permutable categories, submitted to Theory Appl. Categ.
- Embedding theorems for Janelidze's matrix conditions, submitted to J. Pure Appl. Algebra.
- [with S. Mantovani, G. Metere and E. M. Vitale]: Bipullbacks of fractions and the snail lemma, submitted to J. Pure Appl. Algebra.
- Syntactic characterisation of protomodular essentially algebraic categories.
- [with Z. Janelidze]: Unconditional exactness properties.
- [with S. Mantovani, G. Metere and E. M. Vitale]: On fibrations between internal groupoids.
Teaching in uOttawa
- Fall 2017: Instructor for Mathematical Methods I (MATH1300D).
Teaching in UCL
- Spring 2017: Teaching Assistant for Mathématiques Générales 1 (LMAT1111G).
- Spring 2015: Teaching Assistant for Mathématiques : algèbre et calcul matriciel (LINGE1121).
- Autumn 2013: Teaching Assistant for Mathématiques Générales 1 (LMAT1111D).
From 2013, I am involved in the preparation of Belgian high school students for the Internal Mathematical Olympiad.
I mostly teach general algebra and functional equations. I have been Deputy Leader of the Belgian team at the European Girl Mathematical Olympiad from 2012 to 2017
as well as Deputy Leader of the Belgian team at the Benelux Mathematical Olympiad from 2014 to 2016.
- September 2017, Ottawa-Carleton Joint Algebra Seminar, Ottawa, Where the snake is just a snail.
- July 2017, International Conference on Category Theory and its Applications, Vancouver, An embedding theorem for regular Mal'tsev categories.
- May 2017, Category Theory Seminar, Cambridge, Embedding theorems for (regular) Mal'tsev categories.
- May 2016, 4th Workshop on Categorical Methods in Non-Abelian Algebra, Coimbra, An embedding theorem for regular Mal'tsev categories.
- March 2016, UCL-ULB-VUB Category Theory Seminar, Brussels, An embedding theorem for regular Mal'tsev categories.
- September 2015, Workshop in Category Theory and Algebraic Topology, Louvain-la-Neuve, Bicategories of fractions for groupoids in monadic categories.
- January 2015, 97th Peripatetic Seminar on Sheaves and Logic, Louvain-la-Neuve, Exactness properties and cofiltered limit completion.
- November 2014, Brümmer 80 Seminar, Cape Town, Embedding theorem for regular subtractive categories.
- October 2014, 57th South African Mathematical Society annual congress, Johannesburg, Bicategories of fractions for groupoids in monadic categories.
- October 2014, Seminar of the Centre for Mathematical Structure, Stellenbosch, An introduction to bicategories.
Last update: 9 October 2017