|Research Fields:||Nonparametric Statistics, Sequential Analysis|
|Supervised Students and postdocs:||Jingrui Mu, Xiuwen Duan|
|Research Interests|| |
Non-parametric Statistics; General randomized block designs, Non-null models for ranking data
Spatial Statistics: assessing trends in acid deposition with reference to the Great Lakes; acid rain model evaluation; analysis of satellite data with reference to forest management.
1. A Parametric Approach to Nonparametric Statistics (2018) Mayer Alvo and Philip L.H. Yu. Published by Springer
2. Statistical Methods for Ranking Data (2014) Mayer Alvo and Philip L.H. Yu. Published by Springer
3. Statistical Inference and Machine Learning for Big Data (2022) Mayer Alvo To appear
"hypersampleplan" for calculation of the hypergeometric distribution and for attribute sampling can be found on CRAN.
SELECTED ARTICLES IN REFEREED JOURNALS
1. Asymptotic Theory for Measures of Concordance With Special Reference to Average Kendall Tau (with P. Cabilio and P. Feigin) (1982). The Annals of Statistics. Vol 10,1269-1276.
2. Intergroup Diversity and Concordance for Ranking Data: An Approach via Metrics for Permutations (with P. Feigin) (1986). The Annals of Statistics. Vol. 14, 691-707.
3. The Evaluation of Long-term Sulfur Deposition Models (with T.L. Clark, R.L. Dennis, S.K. Seilkop, E.C. Voldner and M.P. Olson)(1989). Atmospheric Environment, 23, 2267-2288.
4. On the Balanced Incomplete Block Design for Rankings (with P. Cabilio) (1991). Annals of Statistics, 19, 1597-1613.
5. Rank Correlation and the Analysis of Rank Based Experimental Design.(with Paul Cabilio (1992). Probability Models and Statistical Analyses for Ranking Data pp/140-156. Lecture Notes in Statistics. Springer Verlag.
6. A Rank Test of Trend when the Data is Incomplete, (with Paul Cabilio) (1994). Environmetrics, 5, 21-27.
7. Testing Ordered Hypotheses in the Presence of Incomplete Data (with Paul Cabilio). (1995) Journal of American Statistical Association.
8. Analysis of Incomplete Blocks for Rankings (1996). (With Paul Cabilio). Statistics & Probability Letters, 29, 177-184.
9.A General Theory of Hypothesis Testing Based on Rankings (1997)(with Y. Pan). Journal of Statistical Planning and Inference, 61, 219-248.
10. The use of Spearman's footrule in testing for trends when the data are incomplete, (1997). (With M. Charbonneau) Communications in Statistics, 26, Issue 1, 193-213.
11 Applications of Hamming Distance to the Analysis of Block Designs (with P. Cabilio) (1998) Asymptotic Methods in Probability and Statistics, A Volume in Honour of Miklos Csorgo, 787-799.
12. On Non-Parametric Measures of Correlation for Directional Data. (1998) Environmetrics, 9, 645-656.
13. Bayesian interpolation of Atmospheric Deposition Data In Eastern North America. (1999) (With Eva Voldner). The Journal of Official Statistics. 15:1, 87-101
14 A General Rank Based Approach to the Analysis of Block Data (1999). (With P. Cabilio) Communications in Statistics, 28, 197-215.
15 Calculation of Hypergeometric Probabilities using Chebyshev Polynomials.(with P. Cabilio). The American Statistician (2000) 54, No 2, 141-144
16.Complex Random Matrices and Applications (with T. Ratnarajah, R. Vaillancourt) (2003), C.R.Math. Rep. Acad. Sci. Canada, 25,114-120.
17.An arc model for ranking data (with Paul Smrz) (2005) Journal of Statistical Research, 39, 43-54.
18. A unified nonparametric approach for unbalanced factorial designs (with Xin Gao) (2005). Journal of the American Statistical Association, 100, 926-941
19.The problem of classification when the data are non-precise (with Francois Theberge). (2005) Austrian Journal of Statistics., 34, 375-390.
20.Nonparametric tests for umbrella alternatives (2008) The Canadian Journal of Statistics, 36,143-156.
19.Nonparametric classification based on ranks (with Danielle Leger) (2009). International Journal of Statistical Sciences ISSN 1683–5603, Vol. 9(Special Issue), 199-208
20.Testing for mean and correlation changes in microarray experiments: an application for pathway analysis (2010) with Zhongzhu Liu, Andrew Williams and Carole Yauk BMC Bioinformatics, 11:60.
21.Predictability of Dow Jones Index via Chaotic Symbolic Dynamics (2011). M. Alvo, E. Firuzan and A.R. Firuzan World Applied Sciences Journal 12 (6): 835-839,
22. Nonparametric tests of trend for proportions (2012) (with Marie-Pascal Berthelot) International Journal of Statistics and Probability 1,1, 92-104.
23.Hurst exponents for non-precise data (2013). M. Alvo and Francois Theberge Iranian Journal of Fuzzy Systems, 10, 73-81.
24.Empirical likelihood and ranking data, (2015). Asymptotic laws and Methods in Stochastics, Volume in Honour of Miklos Csorgo on the occasion on his 80th birthday. Fields Institute Communications Series, Springer. Eds: Don Dawson, Rafal Kulik, Mohamedou Ould Haye, Barbara Szyszkowicz and Yiqiang Zhao. 191-202
25.Comparing variables in different corpora with context-based model-free variant probabilities (2015). DAVID SANKOFF, NATHALIE DION, ALEX BRANDTS, MAYER ALVO, SONIA BALASCH AND JACKIE ADAMS. Linguistic variation: Confronting fact and theory.
26.Bridging the gap: a likelihood function approach for the analysis of ranking data (2016). Communications in Statistics,45, 5835-5847
27.The analysis of ranking data using score functions and penalized likelihood (2017) (with Hang Xu). Austrian Journal of Statistics,46, 15-32.
28.Parametric embedding of nonparametric inference problems (2018). M.Alvo, T.L. Lai and P.L.H.Yu. Journal of Statistical Theory and Practice, 12,151-164.
29. Angle-based models for ranking data (2018) (with Hang Xu and Philip Yu). Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 121, 113-136.
30. Detecting change-points in the stress-strength reliability(2018) (with Philip Yu and Hang Xu). Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry,1-21.
31.Estimating the local false discovery rate via a bootstrap solution to the reference class problem (2018) with Farnoosh Babazadeh and David Bickel 29 pages PLOS One, 13,1-15 .
32. Change of measure applications in nonparametric statistics.(2019) ISNPS conference proceedings, (11 pages) Springer. -->