Refereed Papers, Refereed Proceedings and Book Chapters
Please note : The copyrights to these publications are held by their publishers. The pdf files provided here may be used only for single copies for personal use, as though they were reprints provided by mail. They may not be reposted on other web sites or used for any other purpose without the express permission of the appropriate publishers.
1. Harkin E, Payeur A, Lynn M, Boucher JF, Caya-Bissonnette L, Cyr D, Stewart C, Longtin A, Naud R, Béïque JC, Temporal derivative computation in the dorsal raphe network revealed by an experimentally-driven augmented integrate-and-fire modeling framework. (submitted)
2. Tavakoli S. Kamyar, Longtin A, Complexity Collapse, Fluctuating Synchrony, and Transient Chaos in Neural Networks with Delay Clusters. (submitted)
3. Wallach A, Melanson A, Longtin A, Maler L, Mixed selectivity coding of sensory and motor social signals in the thalamus of a weakly electric fish. (submitted)
4. Powanwe AS, Longtin A, Mechanisms of flexible information sharing through noisy oscillations. (submitted)
5. Tavakoli S. Kamyar, Longtin A, Eigenvalues shape the Lyapunov spectrum, entropy and complexity collapse in multi-delay systems. (submitted)
6. Braun W, Matsuzaka Y, Mushiake H, Northoff G, Longtin A, Non-additive activity modulation during a decision-making task involving tactic selection. (submitted)
7. Powanwe AS, Longtin A (2021) Envelope-phase description of noisy oscillators across the Hopf bifurcation. Phys. Rev. Res. (in press)
8. Wolff A, Chen L, Tumati S, Golesorkhi M, Gomez-Pilar J, Hu J, Jiang S, Mao Y, Longtin A, Northoff G (2021) Prestimulus dynamics blend with the stimulus in neural variability quenching. Neuroimage (in press)
9. Sancristobal B, Ferri F, Perucci MG, Romani GL, Longtin A, Northoff G (2021) Slow resting state fluctuations enhance neuronal and behavioral responses to looming sounds. Brain Topography https://doi.org/10.1007/s10548-021-00826-4.
10. Powanwe AS, Longtin A (2021) Brain rhythm bursts are enhanced by multiplicative noise. Chaos 31, 013117.
11. Çalim A, Longtin A, Uzuntarla M (2021) Vibrational resonance in a neuron-astrocyte coupled model. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. A 20200267.
12. Nesse WH, Maler L, Longtin A (2021) Enhanced signal detection by adaptive decorrelation of interspike intervals. Neural Comput. 33, 341-375.
13. Powanwe AS, Longtin A (2020) Phase dynamics of delay-coupled quasi-cycles with application to brain rhythms. Phys. Rev. Research 2, 043067.
14. Tavakoli S. Kamyar, Longtin A (2020) Multi-delay complexity collapse. Phys. Rev. Research 2, 033485.
15. René A, Longtin A, Macke J (2020) Inference of a mesoscopic population model from population spike trains. Neural Comput. 32, 1448-1498. (article)
16. Powanwe AS, Longtin A (2019): Determinants of brain rhythm burst statistics. Scientific Reports 9, 18335 (doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-54444-z )
17. Yu N, Hupe G, Longtin A, Lewis JE (2019): Electrosensory contrast signals for interacting weakly electric fish. Frontiers Integrative Neurosci. 13, 36 (DOI: 10.3389/fnint.2019.00036)
18. Soares C, Trotter D, Longtin A, Béique JC, Naud R (2019) Parsing out the variability of transmission at central synapses using optical quantal analysis. Front. Synaptic Neurosci. 11, 22 (DOI: 10.3389/fnsyn.2019.00022)
19. Longtin A (2019): Electric fish: Learning to generalize. eLife 8: e46651.
20. Melanson, A, Longtin A (2019) Data-driven jump-diffusion modeling with application to membrane voltage fluctuations in pyramidal neurons. J. Math. Neurosci. 9, 6 ( DOI 10.1186/s13408-019-0074-3 )
21. Naud R, Longtin A (2019) Spike-Diffuse-Spike model of axonal propagation links demyelination to compound action potential dispersion. J. Math. Neurosci. 9, 3 (DOI 10.1186/s13408-019-0071-6 )
22. Braun W, Longtin A (2019) Interspike interval correlation in networks of inhibitory integrate-and-fire neurons. Phys.Rev.E 99, 032402.
23. Wallach A, Harvey-Girard E, Jun JJ, Longtin A, Maler L (2018) A time-stamp mechanism may provide temporal information necessary for egocentric to allocentric spatial transformations. eLife 7: e36769
24. Wolff A, Di Giovanni D, Gomez-Pilar J, Nakao T, Huang Z, Longtin A, Northoff G (2018) The temporal signature of self: Temporal measures of resting-state EEG predict self-consciousness. Human Brain Mapping 40, 789-803 (DOI: 10.1002/hbm.24412)
25. Walters-Stewart C, Rochefort C, Longtin A, Zemek R, Sveistrup H (2018) Centre of pressure during quiet stance and dual-task 1 month after mild traumatic brain injury: Adolescents. J. Concussion 2, 1-9.
26. Park SH, Griffiths JD, Longtin A, Lefebvre J (2018) Persistent entrainment in non-linear neural networks with memory. Front. Appl. Math. Stat. (doi.org/10.3389/fams.2018.00031)
27. Barlow BM, Joos B, Trinh AK, Longtin A ((2018) Cooling reverses pathological bifurcations to spontaneous firing caused by mild traumatic injury. Chaos 28, 106328 (doi: 10.1063/1.5040288) (Editor's Pick)
28. Kuebler ES, Calderini M, Longtin A, Bent N, Vincent-Lamarre P, Thivierge JP (2018) Non-monotonic accumulation of spike time variance during membrane potential oscillations. Biol. Cybern. 112, 539-545
29. René A, Longtin A (2017) Mean, covariance and effective dimension of stochastic distributed delay systems. Chaos 27, 114322.
30. Naud R, Payeur A, Longtin A (2017) Noise-Gated Stochastic Resonance with Dendrite-Soma Interactions. Phys. Rev. X 7, 031045
31. Dumont G, Payeur A, Longtin A (2017) A stochastic-field description of finite-size spiking neural networks. PLoS Comput. Biol. 13(8):e1005691
32. Braun W, Thul R, Longtin A (2017) Evolution of moments and correlations in non-renewal escape-time processes. Phys. Rev. E 95, 052127
33. Melanson A, Mejias JF, Jun JJ, Maler L, Longtin A (2017) Non-stationary stochastic dynamics underlie spontaneous transitions between active and inactive behavioural states. ENEURO.0355-16.2017
34. Iolov A, Ditlevsen S, Longtin A (2017) Optimal design for estimation in diffusion processes from first hitting times. SIAM/ASA J. Uncertainty Quantification 5, 88-110 (open access)
35. Jun JJ, Longtin A, Maler L (2016) Active sensing associated with spatial learning reveals memory-based attention in an electric fish. J . Neurophysiol. 115, 2577-2592.
36. Jung SN, Longtin A , Maler L (2016) Weak signal amplification and detection by higher-order sensory neurons. J. Neurophysiol. 115, 2158-2175.
37. Iolov A, Ditlevsen S, Longtin A (2016) Stochastic optimal control of spike times in single neurons. In: Closed-loop Neuroscience, A. El-Hady, ed. (Elsevier, San Diego)
38. Marcoux CM, Clarke SE, Nesse WH, Longtin A, Maler L (2016) Balanced ionotropic receptor dynamics support signal estimation via voltage-dependent membrane noise. J. Neurophysiol. 115, 530-545.
39. Dumont G, Northoff G, Longtin A (2016) A stochastic model of input effectiveness during irregular gamma rhythms. J. Comput. Neurosci. 40, 85-101.
40. Huang Z, Zhang J, Longtin A, Dumont G, Duncan N, Pokorny J, Qin P, Dai R, Ferri F, Weng X, Northoff G (2015) How does spontaneous brain activity interact with task-evoked activity? Non-additive interaction, phase-dependence and scale-free properties. Cerebral Cortex (Dec.7, epub ahead of print)
41. Shifman AR, Longtin A, Lewis JE (2015) Ultrafast traveling wave dominates the electric organ discharge of Apteronotus leptorhynchus: an inverse modelling study. Sci. Rep. 5, 15780. (open access)
42. Clarke SE, Longtin A, Maler L (2015) Contrast coding in the electrosensory system: parallels with visual computation. Nature Rev. Neurosci. 16, 733-744.
43. Clarke SE, Longtin A, Maler L (2015) The neural dynamics of sensory focus. Nature Commun. 6, 8764. ( DOI: 10.1038/ncomms9764 ) (open access)
44. Naud R, Houtman D, Rose G, and Longtin A (2015) Counting on dis-inhibition: a circuit motif for interval counting and selectivity in the anuran auditory system. J. Neurophysiol. 114, 2804-15.
45. Payeur A, Maler L, Longtin A (2015) Oscillatory-like behaviour in feedforward neuronal nets. Phys. Rev. E. 92, 012703.
46. Mejias JF and Longtin A (2014) Differential effects of excitatory and inhibitory heterogeneity on the gain and asynchronous state in sparse cortical networks. Front. Comput. Neurosci. 8, 107.
47. Jun JJ, Longtin A and Maler L (2014) Enhanced sensory sampling precedes self-initiated locomotion in an electric fish. J. Exp. Biol. 217, 3615-28. (see: F1000 Neurological Disorders by Patrick Haggard, 8 Jan. 2015)
48. Lachance, M, Longtin, A, Morris, CE, Yu, N and Joos, B (2014) Stimulation-induced ectopicity and propagation windows in model damaged axons. J. Comput. Neurosci. 37, 523-31.
49. Dumont G, Northoff G, Longtin A (2014) Linear noise approximation for oscillations in a stochastic inhibitory network with delays. Phys.Rev. E 90, 012702.
50. Iolov, A, Ditlevsen S and Longtin, A (2014) Stochastic optimal control of single neuron spike trains. J. Neural Eng. 11, 046004 (open access).
51. Clarke, SE, Longtin, A and Maler, L (2014) A neural code for looming and receding motion is distributed over a population of electrosensory ON and OFF contrast cells. J. Neurosci. 34, 5583-94.
52. Seely, AJE, Bravi, A, Herry C, Green G, Longtin A, et al. (2014) Added prognostic accuracy and predictive model of heart and respiratory rate variability to forecast extubation outcomes. Crit. Care 18, R65.
53. Thivierge, JP, Comas R, Longtin A (2014) Attractor dynamics in local neuronal networks. Front. Neural Circuits 8:22.
54. Mejias JF*, Payeur A*, Selin E, Maler L and Longtin, A (2014) Subtractive, divisive, and non-monotonic gain control in feedforward nets linearized by noise and delays. Front. Comput. Neurosci. 8:19. doi 10.3389/fncom.2014.00019 (*shared 1st authorship)
55. Iolov, A, Ditlevsen S and Longtin, A (2014) Fokker-Planck and Fortet equation-based parameter estimation for a leaky integrate-and-fire model with sinusoidal and stochastic forcing. J. Math. Neurosci. 4, 4.
56. Van Hemmen, JL and Longtin, A (2013) Temperature fluctuations for a system in contact with a heat bath. J. Stat. Phys. 153, 1132-1142.
57. Mejias, JF, Marsat, G, Bol, K, Maler, L and Longtin, A (2013) Learning contrast-invariant cancellation of redundant signals in neural systems. PLoS Comput. Biol. 9, e1003180.
58. Bravi, A, Green, G, Herry, C, Wright, HE, Longtin, A, Kenny, GP and Seely, AJE (2013) Do physiological and pathological stresses produce different changes in heart rate variability? Frontiers Physiol. 4, 197. Part of e-book "Heart rate variability: Clinical applications and interactions between HRV and heart rate", edited by K. Trimmel, J. Sacha and H. Veli Huikuri (Lausanne, Frontiers Media, 2015).
59. Clarke, SE, Naud, R, Longtin, A and Maler, L (2013) Speed-invariant encoding of looming object distance requires power law spike rate adaptation. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 110, 13624-13629.
60. Jun, JJ, Longtin, A and Maler, L (2013) Automated visual and electrical tracking of weakly electric fish. J. Vis. Exp. Mar 6; (85). doi: 10.3791/50962.
61. Jun, JJ, Longtin, A and Maler, L (2013) Real-Time localization of moving dipole sources for tracking multiple free-swimming weakly electric fish. PLoS One 8, e66596.
62. Payeur, A, Lefebvre, J, Maler, L and Longtin, A (2013) Linear response theory for two neural populations applied to gamma oscillation generation. Phys. Rev. E 87, 032703.
63. Bol, K, Marsat, G, Mejias, JF, Maler, L and Longtin, A (2013) Modeling cancellation of periodic inputs with burst-STDP and feedback. Neural Networks 47, 120-133.
64. Mejias, JF, Kappen, HJ, Longtin, A and Torres, JJ (2013) Short-term synaptic plasticity and heterogeneity in neural systems. 12th Granada on Computational and Statistical Physics. AIP Conf. Proc. 1510, 185-194.
65. Bol, K, Marsat, G, Mejias, JF, Harvey-Girard, E, Maler, L and Longtin, A (2012) Signal cancellation in neural systems: encoding sensory input in the weakly electric fish. Proc. 11th IEEE Intern. Conf. ISSPA'12 Information Sciences, Signal Processing, and their Applications. pp.770-775.
66. Lefebvre, J, Hutt, A, LeBlanc, V and Longtin, A (2012) Reduced dynamics for delayed systems with harmonic or stochastic forcing. Chaos 22, 043121.
67. Bravi, A, Green, G, Longtin, A and Seely, AJE (2012) Monitoring and identification of sepsis development through a composite measure of heart rate variability. PLoS One 7(9), e45666. (pdf)
68. Yu, N, Morris, CE, Joos, B and Longtin, A (2012) Spontaneous excitation patterns computed for myelinated axons with injury-like impairments of nodal Na/K pumps and sodium channels. PLoS Comput. Biol. 8(9), e1002664. (pdf)
69. Yu, N, Hupé, G, Garfinkle, C, Lewis JE and Longtin, A (2012) Coding conspecific identity and motion in the electric sense. PLoS Comput. Biol. 8(7), e1002564. (pdf)
70. Mejias, JF and Longtin, A (2012) Optimal heterogeneity for coding in spiking neural networks. Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 228102. (pdf)
71. Hutt, A, Lefebvre, J and Longtin, A (2012) Delay stabilizes stochastic systems near a non-oscillatory instability. Eur. Phys. Lett. 98, 20004. (pdf)
72. Jun, JJ, Longtin, A and Maler, L (2012) Precision measurement of electric organ discharge timing from freely moving weakly electric fish. J. Neurophysiol. 107, 1996-2007. (pdf)
73. Marsat,G, Longtin, A and Maler, L (2012) Cellular and circuit properties supporting different sensory coding strategies in electric fish and other systems. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 22, 686-692. (pdf)
74. Xie, JL, Wang, ZJ and Longtin, A (2012) Correlated firing and oscillations in spiking networks with global delayed inhibition. Neurocomputing 83, 146-157. (pdf)
75. Van Hemmen, JL, Longtin, A and Vollmayr, AN (2011) Testing resonating vector strength: auditory system, electric fish, and noise. Chaos 21, 047508. (pdf)
76. Yu, N and Longtin, A (2011) Coherence depression in stochastic excitable systems with two-frequency forcing. Chaos 21, 047507. (pdf)
77. Bravi, A, Longtin, A and Seely, AJE (2011) Review and classification of variability analysis techniques for clinical applications. BMC Biomed. Engin. Online 10: 90 (Oct.10) (pdf)
78. Bol, K, Marsat, G, Harvey-Girard, E., Longtin, A, Maler, A (2011) Frequency-tuned cerebellar channels and burst-induced LTD lead to cancellation of redundant sensory inputs. J. Neurosci. 31, 11028-11038. (pdf) (Supplementary Material)
79. Chacron, MJ, Longtin, A and Maler, L (2011) Efficient computation via sparse coding in electrosensory neural networks. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 21, 752-760. (pdf)
80. Middleton, JW, Yu, N, Longtin, A and Maler, L (2011) Routing the flow of sensory signals using plastic responses to bursts and isolated spikes: experiment and theory. J. Neurosci. 31, 2461-2473. (pdf)
81. Lefebvre, J, LeBlanc, V and Longtin, A (2011) Neural adaptation facilitates oscillatory responses to static inputs in a recurrent network of ON and OFF cells. J. Comput. Neurosci. 31, 73-86. (pdf)
82. Lefebvre, J, LeBlanc, V and Longtin, A (2011) Responses of recurrent nets of asymmetric ON and OFF cells. J. Biol. Phys. 37, 189-212. (pdf)
84. Benda, J., Maler, L. and Longtin, A. (2010) Linear versus nonlinear signal transmission in integrate-and-fire models with adaptation currents or dynamic thresholds. J. Neurophysiol. 104, 2806-2820. (pdf)
85. Khanbabaie, R, Nesse, WH, Longtin, A and Maler, L (2010) Kinetics of fast short-term depression are matched to spike train statistics to reduce noise. J. Neurophysiol. 103, 3337-3348. (pdf)
86. Lefebvre, J., Longtin, A. and LeBlanc, VG (2010) Oscillatory Response in a Sensory Network of ON and OFF cells with Instantaneous and Delayed Recurrent Connections. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 368, 455-467. (pdf)
87. Longtin, A. (2010) Stochastic delay-differential equations. In: Complex Time-Delay Systems, F. Atay, ed. (Springer, Berlin)
88. Boulet, J., Balasubramaniam, R, Daffertshofer, A. and Longtin, A (2010) Stochastic two delay-differential model of delayed visual feedback effects on postural dynamics. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 368, 423-438. (pdf)
89. Hutt, A. and Longtin, A. (2010) Effects of the anesthetic agent propofol on neural populations. Cognitive Neurodynamics 4, 37-59 ( DOI 10.1007/s11571-009-9092-2) (pdf)
90. Longtin, A. (2010) Neural coherence and stochastic resonance. In: Stochastic Methods in Neuroscience, edited by G. Lord and C.R. Laing (Oxford University Press, Oxford) pp.94-123.
91. Lefebvre, J., Longtin, A. and LeBlanc, VG (2009) Dynamics of driven recurrent networks of ON and OFF cells. Phys. Rev. E 80, 041912 ((selected for: Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research) (pdf)
92. Heffernan, B. and Longtin, A. (2009) Pulse-coupled neuron models as investigative tools for musical consonance. J. Neurosci. Methods 183(1), 95-106, Special issue on BrainModes. (pdf)
93. Longtin, A. and Rinzel, J. (2009) Neuronal dynamics of sensory coding: the legacy of Jose Pedro Segundo. Introduction to Special issue on Neuronal dynamics of sensory coding, Biol. Cybern. 100, 409-411. (pdf)
94. Sutherland, C., Doiron, B. and Longtin, A. (2009) Feedback-induced gain control in stochastic spiking networks. Special issue on "Neuronal Dynamics of Sensory Coding" (dedicated to JP Segundo), Biol. Cybern. 100, 475-489. (pdf)
95. Van den Heuvel, M., Balasubramaniam, R., Daffertshofer, A., Longtin, A. and Beek, P.J. (2009) Delayed visual feedback reveals distinct time scales in balance control. Neurosci. Lett. 452, 37-41. (pdf)
96. Middleton, J.W., Longtin, A., Benda, J., and Maler, L. (2009) Postsynaptic receptive field size and spike threshold determine encoding of high-frequency information via sensitivity to synchronous presynaptic activity. J. Neurophysiol. 101, 1160-70. (pdf)
97. Lindner, B., Gangloff, D., Longtin, A. and Lewis, J.E. (2009) Broadband coding with dynamic synapses. J. Neurosci. 29, 2076-88. (pdf)
98. Hutt, A., Sutherland, C. and Longtin, A. (2008) Driving neural oscillations with correlated spatial input and topographic feedback. Phys. Rev. E 78, 021911. (pdf)
99. Longtin, A., Middleton, J.W., Cieniak, J. and Maler, L. (2008) Neural dynamics of envelope coding. Math. Biosci. 214, 87-99. (pdf)
100. Kelly, M., Babineau, D., Longtin, A. and Lewis, J.E. (2008) Electric field interactions in pairs of electric fish: Modeling and mimicking naturalistic input. Biol. Cybern. 98, 479-490. (pdf)
101. Hutt, A., Longtin, A. and Schimansky-Geier, L. (2008) Additive noise-induced Turing transitions in spatial systems with application to neural fields and the Swift-Hohenberg equation. Physica D 237, 755-773. (pdf)
102. Szalisznyo, K., Longtin, A. and Maler, L (2008) Effect of synaptic plasticity on sensory coding and steady-state filtering properties in the electric sense. Biosystems 92, 16-28. (pdf)
103. Clopath, C, Longtin, A. and Gerstner, W. (2008) An online Hebbian learning rule that performs Independent Component Analysis. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems 20 (NIPS 2007), MIT Press, 312-328. (pdf)
104. Longtin, A., Stochastic Dynamical Systems. (2007) Scholarpedia.
105. Longtin, A. and Doiron, B., Neuronal Noise. (2007) Scholarpedia.
106. Hutt, A., Longtin, A. and Schimansky-Geier, L. (2007) Additive global noise delays Turing bifurcations. Phys. Rev. Lett. 98, 230601. (pdf)
107. Longtin, A. (2007) Linking dynamics to function in weakly electric fish. SIAM News, Vol. 40(2), special issue on "Mathematics and the Brain". (March 2007)
108. Babineau, D., Lewis, J.E. and Longtin, A. (2007) Spatial acuity and prey detection in weakly electric fish. PLoS Comp. Biol. 3, e38 (selected as "Editor's pick") (pdf)
109. Middleton, J.W., Harvey-Girard, E., Maler, L. and Longtin, A. (2007) Envelope gating, noise shaping and signal transmission in populations of noisy neurons. Phys. Rev. E 75, 021918 (selected for: Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research) (pdf)
110. Chacron, M.J., Lindner, B. and Longtin, A. (2007) Threshold fatigue and information transmission. J. Comput. Neurosci. 23, 301-311. (pdf)
111. Longtin, A. and Swain, P., editors (2006) Stochastic Dynamics of Neural and Genetic Networks. Special Focus Issue of CHAOS, Vol.16, July 2006.
112. Swain, P.K. and Longtin, A. (2006) Genetic and neural noise. Introduction to the Special Focus Issue on Stochastic Dynamics of Neural and Genetic Networks, A. Longtin and P. Swain, guest editors, CHAOS 16, 026101. (pdf)
113. Benda, J., Longtin, A. and Maler, L. (2006) A synchronization-desynchronization code for natural communication signals. Neuron 52, 347-58. (pdf)
114. Middleton, J.W., Longtin, A., Benda, J. and Maler, L. (2006) The cellular basis for parallel neural transmission of a high-frequency stimulus and its low-frequency envelope. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. (USA) 103, 14596-14601. (pdf)
115. Babineau, D., Longtin, A. and Lewis, J.E. (2006) Characterization of the electric fields generated by weakly electric fish and of electric images they detect. J. Exp. Biol. 209, 3636-51. (pdf)
116. Morse, R. and Longtin, A. (2006) Coherence and stochastic resonance in threshold crossing detectors with delayed feedback. Phys. Lett. A 359, 640-646. (pdf)
117. Lindner, B. and Longtin, A. (2006) Comment on: "Characterization of subthreshold voltage fluctuations in neuronal membranes" by M. Rudolph and A. Destexhe. Neural Comput. 18, 1896-1931. (pdf)
118. Longtin, A. (2006) Design and therapies for stochastic neural systems. In: Multidisciplinary Approaches to Theory in Medicine, R. Paton and L.A. McNamara, eds., (Elsevier, Amsterdam) pp.193-207.
119. Szalisznyo, K., Longtin, A. and Maler, L. (2005) Altered sensory filtering and coding properties by synaptic dynamics in the electric sense. Neurocomputing 69, 1070-1075. (pdf)
120. Lindner, B., Doiron, B. and Longtin, A. (2005) Theory of oscillatory firing induced by spatially correlated noise and delayed inhibitory feedback. Phys. Rev. E 72, 061919. (pdf)
121. Chacron, M.J., Longtin, A. and Maler, L. (2005) Delayed excitatory and inhibitory feedback shape neural information transmission. Phys. Rev. E 72, 051917. (selected for the November 15, 2005 issue of the Virtual Journal of Biological Physics Research). (pdf)
122. Lindner, B., Chacron, M.J. and Longtin, A.(2005) Integrate-and-fire neurons with threshold noise - A tractable model of how interspike interval correlations affect neuronal signal transmission. Phys. Rev. E 72, 021911. (pdf)
123. Chacron, M.J., Lindner, B., Maler, L., Longtin, A., and Bastian, J. (2005) Experimental and theoretical demonstration of noise shaping by interspike interval correlations. In: Fluctuations and Noise in Biological, Biophysical and Biomedical Systems III, N.G. Stocks, D. Abbott and R.P. Morse, eds., Proc. SPIE Vol.5841, pp.150-163. (invited paper) (pdf)
124. Masuda, N., Doiron, B., Longtin, A. and Aihara, K.(2005) Coding of time-varying signals in networks of spiking neurons with global feedback. Neural Comput. 17, 2139-2175. (pdf)
125. Lindner, B. and Longtin, A. (2005) Effect of an exponentially decaying threshold on the firing statistics of a stochastic integrate-and-fire neuron. J. Theor. Biol. 232, 505-521. (pdf)
126. Benda, J., Longtin, A. and Maler, L. (2005), Spike-frequency adaptation enhances the detection of transient communication signals. J. Neuroscience 25, 2312-2321. (pdf)
127. Chacron, M.J., Lindner, B. and Longtin, A. (2004) ISI correlations and information transfer. Fluct. Noise Lett. 4, L195-L205. (pdf)
128. Doiron, B., Lindner, B., Longtin, A., Maler, L. and Bastian, J. (2004) Oscillatory activity in electrosensory neurons increases with the spatial correlation of the stochastic input stimulus. Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 048101. (pdf)
129. Chacron, M.J., Longtin, A. and Maler, L. (2004) To burst or not to burst? J. Comput. Neurosci. 17, 127-136. (pdf)
130. Chacron,M.J., Lindner,B. and Longtin, A. (2004) Noise shaping by interval correlations increases information transfer in spiking neurons. Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 080601. (see News and Views, Nature 428, 382 by Arun Holden) (also, there's a typo: see Erratum, Phys. Rev. Lett. 93, 059904) (pdf)
131. St-Hilaire, M. and Longtin, A. (2004) Comparison of coding capabilities of Type I and Type II neurons. J. Comput. Neurosci. 16, 299-313. (pdf)
132. Chacron, M.J., Pakdaman, K. and Longtin, A., (2004) Chaotic firing in the sinusoidally forced leaky integrate-and-fire model with threshold fatigue. Physica D 192 , 138-160. (pdf)
133. St-Hilaire, M. and Longtin, A. (2004) Information coding in models of tuberous electroreceptors. Math. Biosci. 188, 157-174. (pdf)
134. Engbert, R., Longtin, A. and Kliegl, R. (2004) Complexity of eye movements in reading: A theoretical model. Intern. J. Bifurc. Chaos 14, 493-503. (pdf)
135. Lindner, B. and Longtin, A. (2003) Nonrenewal spike trains generated by stochastic neuron models, Proceedings SPIE 5114, 209-218 (Fluctuations and Noise, Santa Fe, June 2003). (invited paper) (pdf)
136. Doiron, B., Longtin, A. and Lindner, B. (2003) Oscillatory network coding of a global stimulus. Proceedings SPIE 5110, 201-209 (Fluctuations and Noise, Santa Fe, June 2003) (invited paper) (pdf)
137. Middleton, J.W., Chacron, M.J., Lindner, B. and Longtin, A. (2003) Firing statistics of a model neuron driven by long-range correlated noise. Phys. Rev. E. 68, 021920. (pdf)
138. Laing, C. and Longtin, A. (2003) Periodic forcing of a model sensory neuron. Phys. Rev. E. 67, 051928. (pdf)
139. Chacron, M.R., Longtin, A. and Maler, L. (2003) The effects of spontaneous activity, background noise and the stimulus ensemble on information transfer in neurons. Network Comput. Neural Syst. 14, 803-824. (pdf)
140. Laing, C.R. and Longtin, A. (2003) Dynamics of deterministic and stochastic paired excitatory-inhibitory delayed feedback. Neural Comput. 15, 2779-2822. (pdf)
141. Chacron, M.J., Doiron, B., Maler, L., Longtin, A. and Bastian, J. (2003) Non-classical receptive field mediated biological switch in a sensory neuron's frequency tuning. Nature 423, 77-81 (May 1st). (pdf)
142. Lindner, B., Longtin, A. and Bulsara, A.R. (2003) Analytical expressions for rate and CV of a Type I neuron driven by Gaussian white noise. Neural Comput. 15, 1761-1788. (pdf)
143. Doiron, B., Chacron, M.J., Maler, L., Longtin, A. and Bastian, J. (2003) Inhibitory feedback required for network burst responses to communication but not to prey stimuli. Nature 421, 539-543. (see News ans Views, Nature Neuroscience 6, 212-213 by F. Gabbiani) (pdf) (supplementary material) (supplementary figure)
144. Noonan, L., Doiron, B., Laing, C.R., Longtin, A. and Turner, R.W. (2003) A dynamic dendritic refractory period regulates burst discharge in the electrosensory lobe of weakly electric fish. J. Neurosci. 23, 1524-1534. (pdf)
145. Chacron, M. J., Pakdaman, K. and Longtin, A. (2003) Interspike interval correlations, memory, adaptation, and refractoriness in a leaky integrate-and-fire model with threshold fatigue. Neural Comput. 15, 253-278. (pdf)
146. Longtin, A., Effect of Noise on Nonlinear Dynamics. (2003) In: Nonlinear Dynamics in Physiology and Medicine, A. Beuter, L. Glass, M.C. Mackey and M. Titcombe, eds. (Springer Verlag, New York). (see also the Erratum)
147. Longtin, A., Laing, C.R. and Chacron, M.J.(2003) Correlations and memory in neurodynamical systems. In: Long-Range-Dependent Stochastic Processes: Theory and Applications, Lecture Notes in Physics Vol.621, edited by G. Rangarajan and M. Ding (Springer-Verlag, Berlin) (invited paper). (pdf)
148. Laing, C., Doiron, B., Longtin, A., Turner, R., Noonan, L. and Maler, L. (2003) Type I burst excitability. J. Comput. Neurosci. 14, 329-342. (pdf)
149. Middleton, J.W., Chacron, M.J., Lindner, B. and Longtin, A. (2002) Correlated noise and memory effects in neural firing statistics. AIP Proceedings, "Unsolved Problems on Noise" (Washington, DC, Sept. 2002) (in press).
150. Turner, R.W., Lemon, N., Doiron, B., Rashid, A.J., Morales, E., Maler, L., Longtin, A., and Dunn, R.J. (2002) Oscillatory burst discharge generated through conditional backpropagation of dendritic spikes. J. Physiol. (Paris) 96, 517-530. (pdf)
151. Longtin, A. (2002) Phase locking and resonances for stochastic excitable systems. Fluctuations and Noise Letters 2, 183-211, Special Issue on Stochastic Resonance (invited chapter). (pdf)
152. Lindner, B., Schimansky-Geier, L. and Longtin, A. (2002) Maximizing spike train coherence and incoherence in the leaky integrate-and-fire model. Phys. Rev. E. 66, 031916. (pdf)
153. Longtin, A., Doiron, B. and Bulsara, A.R. (2002) Noise-induced divisive inhibition in simple neuron models. Biosystems 67, 147-156. (pdf)
154. Laing, C. and Longtin, A. (2002) A two-variable delay-differential model of somatic-dendritic interactions in bursting neurons. Bull. Math. Biol. 64/5, 829-860. (pdf)
155. Laing, C., Doiron, B., Longtin, A. and Maler, L. (2002) Ghostbursting: The effects of dendrites on spike patterns. Neurocomputing 44-46, 127-132. (pdf)
156. Redmond, B., Leblanc, V.G. and Longtin, A. (2002) Bifurcation analysis of a class of first-order nonlinear delay-differential equations with reflectional symmetry. Physica D 166, 131-146. (pdf)
157. Engbert, R., Longtin, A. and Kliegl, R. (2002) A dynamical model of saccade generation in reading based on spatially distributed lexical processing. Vision Res. 42, 621-636. (pdf)
158. Doiron, B., Laing, C.R., Longtin, A. and Maler, L. (2002) Ghostbursting: A novel neuronal burst mechanism. J. Comput. Neurosci. 12, 5-25. (pdf)
159. Laing, C.R. and Longtin, A. (2001) Noise-induced stabilization of bumps in systems with long-range spatial coupling. Physica D 160, 149-172. (pdf)
160. Brandts, W.A.M., Longtin, A., and Trainor, L.E.H. (2001) Dynamics of a two-category model of task allocation with application to ant societies. Bull. Math. Biol. 63, 1125-1161. (pdf)
161. Chacron, M.J., Longtin, A. and Maler, L. (2001) Negative interspike interval correlations increase the neuronal capacity for encoding time-dependent stimuli, J. Neurosci. 21, 5328-5343. (pdf)
162. Doiron, B., Longtin, A., Turner, R.W. and Maler, L. (2001) Model of gamma frequency burst discharge generated by conditional backpropagation. J. Neurophysiol. 86, 1523-1545. (pdf)
163. Chacron, M..J., Longtin, A. and Maler, L. (2001) Simple models of bursting and non-bursting electroreceptors. Neurocomputing 38, 129-139. (pdf)
164. Longtin, A. and L'Heureux, I. (2001) Physics in Canada 57(2), Guest Editors for the Special Issue on Nonlinear Dynamics, March/April 2001. (http://www.cap.ca).
165. Longtin, A. and L'Heureux, I. (2001) Dynamical effects of noise on nonlinear systems. Physics in Canada 57(2), Special Issue on Nonlinear Dynamics, A. Longtin and I. L'Heureux, eds., 145-153.
166. Capurro, A., Longtin, A., Bagarinao, E., Sato, S., Macadar, O. and Pakdaman, K. (2001) Variability of the electric organ discharge interval duration in resting Gymnotus carapo. Biol. Cybern. 84, 309-321. (pdf)
167. Doiron, B., Longtin, A., Berman, N. and Maler, L. (2001) Subtractive and divisive inhibition: Effect of voltage-dependent inhibitory conductances and noise. Neural Comput. 13 (1), 227-248. (pdf)
168. Longtin, A. (2000) Adiabatic and non-adiabatic resonances in excitable systems. In Stochastic Processes in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology, Lecture Notes in Physics, Vol. 557 (Springer Verlag, Berlin) pp.172-181. (ps)
169. Chacron, M., Longtin, A., St-Hilaire, M. and Maler, L. (2000) Suprathreshold stochastic firing dynamics with memory in P-type electroreceptors. Phys. Rev. Lett. 85, 1576-1579. (pdf)
170. Guillouzic, S., L'Heureux, I. and Longtin, A. (2000) Rate processes in a stochastically driven delayed overdamped system, Phys. Rev. E 61, 4906-4914. (pdf)
171. Longtin, A. and St-Hilaire, M. (2000) Encoding carrier amplitude modulations via stochastic phase synchronization. Int. J. Bifurc. Chaos 10, 2447-2463 (invited paper for special issue on Phase Synchronization ). (pdf)
172. Longtin, A. (2000) Effect of noise on the tuning properties of excitable systems. Chaos, Solitons and Fract. 11, 1835-1848. (pdf)
173. Roper, P., Bressloff, P.C. and Longtin, A. (2000) A phase model of the temperature sensitivity of mammalian cold receptors, Neural Comput. 12, 1087-1113. (pdf)
174. Guillouzic, S., L'Heureux, I. and Longtin, A. (2000) Transition rates for stochastic delay differential equations. AIP Proc. 502, Stochastic and Chaotic Dynamics in the Lakes, Ambleside, UK, August 1999 (Amer. Inst. Physics, New York) pp.456-461.
175. Longtin, A. (2000) Stochastic aspects of Neural Phase Locking To Periodic Signals. AIP Proc. 501, Stochastic Dynamics and Pattern Formation in Biological Systems, S. Kim, K.J. Lee and W. Sung, eds., Seoul, Korea, July 1999 (Amer. Inst. Physics, New York) pp.219-239 (invited paper)
176. Guillouzic, S., L'Heureux, I. and Longtin, A. (1999) Small delay approximation of stochastic differential delay equations. Phys. Rev. E 59, 3970-3982. (pdf)
177. Longtin, A. and Chialvo D. (1998) Stochastic and deterministic resonances in excitable systems. Phys. Rev. Lett. 81, 4012. (pdf)
178. Mensour, B. and Longtin, A. (1998) Chaos control in multistable delay-differential equations and their singular limit maps, Phys. Rev. E 58(1): 410-422. (pdf)
179. Mensour, B. and Longtin, A. (1998) Synchronization of delay-differential equations with applications to private communication, Phys. Lett. A 244: 59-70. (pdf)
180. Mensour, B. and Longtin, A. (1998) Power spectra and dynamical invariants for delay-differential and difference equations, Physica D 113: 1-25. (pdf)
181. Longtin, A. (1998) Firing dynamics of electroreceptors. Proc. Intern. Conf. on Neural Information Processing ICONIP'98, KitaKyushu, Japan, October 1998, 27-30 (invited paper)
182. Longtin, A. (1998) Tuning curves for noisy excitable cells. Proc., Can. Med. and Biol. Engineer. Conf., Edmonton, June 1998, 70-71.
183. Racicot, D. and Longtin, A. (1997) Interspike interval attractors from chaotically driven neuron models. Physica D 104, 184-204. (pdf)
184. Longtin, A. (1997) Nonlinear prediction of biosignals. Japan Soc. of Med. Electron. and Biol. Engin. BME 11(1), 11-17. (invited review)
185. Chialvo, D., Longtin, A. and Muller-Gerking, J. (1997) Stochastic resonance in models of neuronal ensembles. Phys. Rev. E. 55(2) 1798-1808. (pdf)
186. Longtin, A. (1997) Autonomous stochastic resonance in bursting neurons. Phys. Rev. E. 55(1) 868-876. (pdf)
187. Longtin, A. and Racicot, D.M. (1997) Spike train patterning and forecastability. Biosystems 40, 111-118. (pdf)
188. Longtin, A. and D.M. Racicot (1997) Assessment of linear and nonlinear correlations between neural firing events. In: Nonlinear Dynamics and Time Series: Building a Bridge between the Natural and Statistical Sciences, eds. C.D. Cutler and D.T. Kaplan, Fields Institute Communications Vol.11, 223-239.
189. Longtin, A., Laniel, J. (1997) Subthreshold coincidence detection. AIP Proc. 411, "Applied Nonlinear Dynamics at the Millenium", San Diego, July 1997 (Amer. Inst. Physics, New York), pp.293-298.
190. Mensour, B., Longtin, A. (1997) Multistability and invariants in delay-differential equations. AIP Proc.411, "Applied Nonlinear Dynamics at the Millenium", San Diego, July 1997 (Amer. Inst. Physics, New York), pp.131-136.
191. Longtin, A. and Hinzer, K. (1996) Encoding with bursting, subthreshold oscillations and noise in mammalian cold receptors, Neural Comput. 8, 215-255. (pdf)
192. Foss, J., Longtin, A., Mensour, B., and Milton, J. (1996) Multistability and delayed recurrent loops, Phys. Rev. Lett. 76, 708-711. (pdf)
193. Longtin, A., Hinzer, K. (1996) Simple noise-induced transitions in models of neural systems. In "Fluctuations and Order: The New Synthesis", edited by M.M. Millonas (Springer, New York), pp. 343-358.
194. Mensour, B. and Longtin, A. (1995) Controlling chaos to store information in delay-differential equations, Phys. Lett. A 205, 18-24. (pdf)
195. Longtin, A. (1995) Mechanisms of stochastic phase-locking. CHAOS 5, 209-215. (pdf)
196. Longtin, A. (1995) Synchronization of the stochastic Fitzhugh-Nagumo equations to periodic forcing. Nuovo Cimento D 17 (Italian Physical Society), 835-846. (pdf)
197. Racicot, D., Longtin, A. (1995) Reconstructing dynamics from neural spike trains. Proceedings, 17th Ann. Intern. Conf. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology, Montr\'eal, Sept. 95. (selected for oral presentation), 2 pages.
198. Mensour, B., Longtin, A. (1995) Encoding information in neural feedback circuits. Proceedings, 17th Ann. Intern. Conf. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology, Montr\'eal, Sept. 95. (selected for oral presentation), 2 pages.
199. Mensour, B., Longtin, A. (1995) Controlling chaos to store information in time-delayed feedback systems. Proceedings, 17th Ann. Intern. Conf. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology, Montr\'eal, Sept. 95., 2 pages.
200. Longtin, A., Bulsara, A., Pierson, D. and Moss, F. (1994) Bistability and the dynamics of periodically forced sensory neurons. Biol. Cybern. 70, 569-578. (pdf) (Reprinted in: Origins: Brain and Self Organization, K. Pribram, ed. (Lawrence Erlbaum Assoc., Hillsdale, NJ, 1994)).
201. Losson, J., Mackey, M. and Longtin, A. (1993) Solution multistability in first order nonlinear differential delay equations. CHAOS 3, 167-176. (pdf)
Longtin, A. (1993) Nonlinear forecasting of spike
trains from sensory neurons. Int. J. Bifurc. Chaos
3, 651-661. (pdf)
203. Longtin, A. (1993) Stochastic resonance in neuron models. J. Stat. Phys. 70, 309-327. (pdf)
204. Douglass, J.K., Moss, F., Longtin, A. (1993) Statistical and dynamical interpretation of ISIH data from periodically stimulated sensory neurons. Proceedings, Fifth Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS) Conference, Denver, Co. Dec. 92, S.J. Hanson, J. Cowan and L. Giles, eds. (Morgan-Kaufmann, Mateo, CA), pp.993-1000. (pdf)
205. Milton, J.G., Ohira, T., Steck, J., Crate, J., Longtin, A. (1993) Oscillations and latency in the clamped pupil light reflex. Proc. SPIE 2036: 198-203 (International Society for Optical Engineering).
206. Longtin, A., Bulsara, A. and Moss, F. (1992) Sensory information processing by noisy bistable systems. Mod. Phys. Lett. B 6, 1299-1308.
207. Theiler, J., Galdrikian, B., Longtin, A., Eubank, S. and Farmer, J.D. (1992) Testing for nonlinearity in time series: the method of surrogate data. Physica D 58: 77-94. (Reprinted in: Coping with Chaos. Analysis of Chaotic Data and the Exploitation of Chaotic Systems, E. Ott, T. Sauer and J.A. Yorke, eds., Wiley Series in Nonlinear Science, pp.124-141 (1994)). (pdf)
208. Theiler, J., Galdrikian, B., Longtin, A., Eubank, S. and Farmer, J.D. (1992) Detecting nonlinear structure in time series. Proceedings, First Experimental Chaos conference, Arlington, Virginia (World Scientific, Singapore) p.47-53.
209. Longtin, A., Moss, F. and Bulsara, A. (1991) Time interval sequences in bistable systems and noise induced transmission of neural information. Phys. Rev. Lett. 67, 656-659. (pdf) (See also: J. Maddox (1991), News and Views, Nature 352, 469, and I. Peterson (1991) Science News 140, 143).
210. Longtin, A. (1991) Noise-induced transitions at a Hopf bifurcation in a first order delay-differential equation. Phys. Rev. A 44, 4801-4813. (pdf)
211. Theiler, J., Galdrikian, B., Longtin, A., Eubank, S. and Farmer, J.D. (1991) Using surrogate data to detect nonlinearity in time series. In Nonlinear Prediction and Modeling, M. Casdagli and S. Eubank, eds. (Addison-Wesley, Redwood City, Ca).
212. Longtin, A. (1991) Nonlinear dynamics of neural delayed feedback, 1990 Lectures in Complex Systems, SFI Studies in the Sciences of Complexity, Lect. Vol. III, Lynn Nadel and Daniel Stein Eds. (Addison-Wesley, Redwood City, CA). pp.391-405.
213. Longtin, A. (1991) Oscillation onset in neural delayed feedback, Proceedings, Third Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS) conference, R.E. Lippman, D.S. Touretzky and J. Moody, eds., Denver, Nov. 1990 (Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo, Ca) p.130-136. (pdf)
214. an der Heiden, U., Longtin, A., Mackey, M.C., Milton, J.G. and Scholl, R. (1990) Oscillatory modes in a nonlinear second order differential equation with delay, J. Dynam. Diff. Eqs. 2: 423-449. (pdf)
215. Longtin, A., Milton, J.G., Bos, J. and Mackey, M.C. (1990) Noise and critical behavior of the pupil light reflex at oscillation onset, Phys. Rev. A 41, 6992-7005. (pdf)
216. Milton, J.G., an der Heiden, U., Longtin, A. and Mackey, M.C. (1990) Complex dynamics and noise in simple neural networks with delayed mixed feedback, Biomed. Biochim. Acta 49 8/9: 697-707.
217. Milton, J.G. and Longtin, A. (1990) Evaluation of pupil constriction and dilation from cycling measurements, Vision Res. 30: 515-525. (pdf)
218. Mackey, M.C., Longtin, A. and Lasota, A. (1990) Noise induced global asymptotic stability, J. Stat. Phys. 60: 735-741. (pdf)
219. Longtin, A. and Milton, J.G. (1990) Time delays, noise and oscillations in neural feedback systems, in Proc., 12th Ann. Intern. Conf. IEEE Engineer. in Medicine and Biology Society, Philadelphia, Nov. 1990.
220. Milton, J.G., Longtin, A., Beuter, A., Mackey, M.C. and Glass, L. (1989) Complex dynamics and bifurcations in neurology, J. Theor. Biol. 138, 129-147. (pdf)
221. Longtin, A. and Milton, J.G. (1989) Modelling autonomous oscillations in the human pupil light reflex using nonlinear delay-differential equations, Bull. Math. Biol. 51: 605-624. (pdf) (used as textbook example in Mathematical Physiology by J. Keener and J. Sneyd)
222. Longtin, A. and Milton, J.G. (1989) Insight into the transfer function, gain, and oscillation onset for the pupil light reflex using nonlinear delay-differential equations, Biol. Cybern. 61: 51-59. (pdf)
223. Longtin, A. and Milton, J.G. (1988) Complex oscillations in the human pupil light reflex with mixed delayed feedback, Math. Biosci. 90: 183-199. (pdf)
224. Milton, J.G., Longtin, A., Kirkham, T. and Francis, G.S. (1988) Reply to: "Is irregular pupil cycling caused by prolonged latency?" by K. Ukai, Am. J. Ophthalmol. 106, 371.
225. Milton, J.G., Longtin, A., Kirkham, T. and Francis, G.S. (1988) Irregular pupil cycling: characteristic abnormality in patients with demyelinative optic neuropathy, Am. J. Ophthalmol. 105: 402-407.
226. Longtin, A. and Derome, J.R. (1986) A new model of the acoustic reflex, Biol. Cybern. 53: 323-342. (pdf)
227. Peterman, B.F. and Longtin, A. (1984) Multicompartment model of lung dynamics, Comput. Biomed. Res. 17: 580-589. (pdf)
Papers and Technical Reports
1. Longtin, A. (1996) Stochastic nonlinear dynamics. Lecture Notes, Montreal 96 Summer School on Nonlinear Dynamics in Biology and Medicine, Chapter 15, pp.233-245.
2. Longtin, A. (1996) Predicting interspike intervals. Lecture Notes, Montreal 96 Summer School on Nonlinear Dynamics in Biology and Medicine, Chapter 21, pp.333-344.
3. Longtin, A. (1996) Stochastic resonance in sensory neurons. Lecture Notes, Montreal 96 Summer School on Nonlinear Dynamics in Biology and Medicine, Chapter 22, pp.349-364.
4. Longtin, A. (1992) Deterministic and stochastic dynamics of periodically forced neurons, Center for Nonlinear Studies Newsletter No.74, January 1992 (Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico), pp.1-19.