I am an assistant professor jointly appointed to the Departments of Mathematics and Statistics and of Chemistry and Biomolecular Sciences at the University of Ottawa.
Diversity Axioms Recent Activities Activities in 2021 Past Activities (2017-2020)
Previously, I was a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellow (MSCA-OTmeetsDFT) at Paola Gori-Giorgi's group at the Department of Theoretical Chemistry of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam.
[OQMG Network] We have recently established a Research Network between Ottawa, Queen's, McMaster and Guelph. We are looking for talended PhD students and Postdocs to join our team and perform research at the interface of mathematics, chemistry, quantum physics, scientific computing and artificial intelligence.
[Open Positions] Several PhD and Postdoctoral positions are currently available in my research group as well as many research oportunities for undergraduate and master students. Graduate students and young researchers from Ukraine are warmly encouraged to contact me.
I do agree with the diversity axioms of Federico Ardila (and extended it to Science):
Axiom 1. Mathematical (Scientific) talent is distributed equally among different groups, irrespective of geographic, demographic, and economic boundaries.
Axiom 2. Everyone can have joyful, meaningful, and empowering mathematical (scientific) experiences.
Axiom 3. Mathematics (Sciences) is a powerful, malleable tool that can be shaped and used differently by various communities to serve their needs.
Axiom 4. Every student deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.
- From 20th to 24th March 2023, I will be visiting the American Institute of Mathematics, which will have a new home at Caltech in Pasadena, California.
- [School and Workshop] From 5th-9th September, I am co-organizing the XI Young European Statisticians (YES) Workshop entitled Optimal Transport, Statistics, Machine Learning and moving in between in Eindhoven, The Netherlands.
- In July 20-23th I will present a seminar for graduate students at the 15th Annual Ottawa Mathematics Conference.
- From 27th to 29th June I will be in Lisbon for the conference Schrödinger problem and friends, in honor of Jean-Claude Zambrini on the occasion of his 70th birthday.
- In June 22th, I will do a virtual visit at Stijn De Baerdemacker's group and present a seminar on Strong Interaction-limit in Density Functional Theory.
- In June 2-5th, I will attend the 17th Canadian Workshop on Information Theory and giving a tutorial on Optimal Transort.
- In April 13th, I gave an online talk at the Instituto de Ingeniería Matemática y Computacional (IMC) from the Universidad Católica de Chile.
- In April 5th, I gave a talk at the Physical, Theoretical and Computational Chemistry online seminar of the Chemical Institute of Canada (CIC).
- In March 31th, I gave a talk at the Mathematical Finance and Probability Theory Group at the University of Vienna.
- In March 4rd, I gave a talk at the UCL Data Sciences seminar, organized by Codina Cotar and Alex Watson.
- In January 12th, I gave an online talk on Convex-regularized Optimal Transport at High Dimensional Hamilton-Jacobi PDEs program at the Institute of Pure and Applied Mathematics (IPAM).
- [Postponed] I am co-organizing the School The Mathematics of Machine Learning at Centro De Giorgi, Pisa, Italy. A Workshop following the topics of the School will take place also at Centro De Giorgi. New dates for both School and Workshop will be define soon.
- From 12th to 18th December, I was at the Geometry & Learning Reunion Conference at the LakeArrowhead, organized by IPAM . I spoke about Wasserstein Generative Adversarial Networks.
- From August to December, I was visiting the Simons Institute in Berkeley and attending the long-program Geometric Methods in Optimization and Sampling . I gave a talk on Multi-marginal Sinkhorn algorithm.
- I gave a mini-course on Optimal Transport and Machine Learning at the AutoCheMo Machine Learning Workshop organized by SCM.
- After the new relaxation measures in The Netherlands, I will travel to Eindhoven from June to August to work with Oliver Tse at the Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e).
- In May, I am attending the SIAM Conference on Materials Science in Bilbao, Spain. I gave a talk at the mini-symposium "Numerical Methods for electronic structure calculations" organized by Gero Friesecke and Benjamin Stamm.
- Our paper Learning normalizing flows from Entropy-Kantorovich potentials has been accepted for a contributed talk (oral) at the 2020 ICML workshop (July 12-18) on Invertible Neural Networks, Normalizing Flows, and Explicit Likelihood Models .
- I attended the Geometry and Learning Conference at Lake Arrowhead, organized by IPAM (Los Angeles) in December 13-18.
- In 4th-8th May, I attended the online Workshop Optimal transport and applications to machine learning and statistics, at MSRI, Berkeley.
- From March to June, I traveled to Los Angeles to take part of the (now online) program High Dimensional Hamilton-Jacobi PDEs, at IPAM.
- From 23th to 27th February, Mircea Petrache was visiting the Theoretical Chemistry Department at the VU and working with me.
- In February-March, I am teaching the BSc course Mathematical Methods in Quantum Chemistry at VU.
- 12th February: I gave a talk at the CASA Colloquia of the Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e).
- 3rd-7th February: I gave a talk and celebrated the 30th aniversary of the Convegno Nazionale di Calcolo delle Variazioni at Levico Terme.
- In the last week of January, Flavien Léger was visiting the Theoretical Chemistry Department at the VU and working with me.
- In 14th November, I gave a talk at the Applied Mathematics Seminar, at Utrecht University.
- In 26th September I was visiting Banff to work with Mircea Petrache (PUC Chile).
- I gave a short talk at the school Mathematical and Computational Aspects of Machine Learning, 7th-11th October, Centro De Giorgi, Pisa.
- I gave a talk at the General Mathematics Colloquium at the VU at 11th September.
- In the last years, I taught the course Topics in Mathematics of Data Sciences and a Ph.D. course on Density Functional Theory and Optimal Transport.
- I have co-organized the Workshop Optimal Transport meets Density Functional Theory (2017).
Activities in 2021
Past Activities (2017-2020)